| Typical look for the tv series... stare at nothingness while looking cool in the process |
Comic book and science fiction-themed television shows have always dominated the digital waves. The same is true now with numerous shows like The Flash, Arrow, Agent Carter, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and with the upcoming Netflix exclusive, Daredevil.
For the past few days, I've indulged myself in re-watching what ignited the superhero-themed shows for The CW. Smallville started back in 2001 with up starters Tom Welling as the teenage Clark Kent. The show started fresh by explaining the origins of the would-be Man of Steel. But lo and behold, the show was touched by the entitled hand of Hollywood and it became all nitty, gritty, and somewhat... cheesy.
While character like Lois Lane and Lana Lang existed in the comics, the story didn't dwell too much on the latter's relationship. Lana Lang, played by Kristin Kreuk, proved to be a mainstay love interest for the better part of the entire series. The show followed the old saying of "Behind Every Strong Man, There Is a Woman."
To say the least, I gave in to the Hollywood treatment and, surprisingly, I loved the approach, even the cheesy ones. The only problem I had with the show was with the numerous fillers and pointless enemies like the spiderman rip-off in season 1. What I loved best about the show was their portrayal of the Man of Steel as just being a man, with all the imperfections and idiotic decisions that define what it means to be human.
Made a mistake, wear the red Kryptonite ring. Meet a new girl, make yourself look mysterious and cock block yourself in the process... the list goes on and on.
These imperfections made the show so successful...
And the similar treatment was used to the shows that succeeded it...
Arrow shows the darker side of the good and flashy Oliver Queen...
The Flash... well, shows what the Flash really is..
I wonder how the upcoming Supergirl series will turn out... will it take the same route of as the rest?
Adapt or Die?
We'll soon see when the show comes out later this year...
| Will she fly like a bird or sink like a stone? |
No comments:
Post a Comment